Statement of Solidarity (June 2020)
We, the members of the Scientific Network “Kulturen ästhetischen Widerstands/Cultures of Aesthetic Resistance,” declare solidarity with all those who protest and offer resistance to racism, white supremacy, and anti-Black violence and injustice in the United States and across the globe.
Funded since October 2019 by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG), the network “Kulturen ästhetischen Widerstands/Cultures of Aesthetic Resistance” seeks to create an interdisciplinary dialogue to continue and expand existing debates about the forms, effects, and deficits of aesthetic resistance. It draws on a variety of discussions about the role of the aesthetic and forms of political, cultural, and social resistance in current discourses of philosophy, social sciences, cultural, and literary studies. The network wants to determine to what extent the arts and non-artistic cultural, social, and political forms of expression appear aesthetically resistant. In this regard, the continuous, post-humanist revision of Western aesthetic premises will open up crucial questions about the possibilities of aesthetic resistance. Relying on the idea of an aesthetic pluralism, the network develops theoretical and practical alternatives, synergies, and collaborations with which an equally contemporaneous and future-oriented understanding of aesthetic resistance can be formulated. In and through the cooperation of scholars from the humanities and the social sciences, the network explores new ways of dealing with the aesthetic and the powerful forces of resistant practices.
- Dustin Breitenwischer (PI/Antragsteller), North American Studies, EXC 2020, Freie Universität Berlin
- Hanna Katharina Göbel, Sociology, Hamburg
- Sophia Gräfe, Media and Cultural Studies, Marburg
- Christian Krüger, Philosophy, Freie Universität Berlin
- Philipp Löffler, North American Studies, Heidelberg/Frankfurt am Main
- Marina Martinez Mateo, Philosophy, Frankfurt am Main
- Dietmar Meinel, North American Studies, Duisburg-Essen
- Maike Meurer, Ethnology, Mainz
- Jennifer Pavlik, German Literature, Luxemburg
- Sophia Prinz, Theory of Design, UDK Berlin / Fellow @ HIAS (Hamburg Institute für Advanced Study)
- Kerstin Schankweiler, Art History, Dresden
- Jasmin Wrobel, Latin American Studies, EXC 2020, Freie Universität Berlin
Deadline: December, 15 2020
CFP: Themed Issue of Amerikastudien/American Studies
“Picturing the Black Americas: Race/Relations and Modes of Visual (Self-)Archiving”
Guest Editors: Dustin Breitenwischer, Robert Reid-Pharr, Jasmin Wrobel
Find more information here!
October 21-23, 2020, Dresden (online event only)
Second Workshop, “Widerstand/Resistance”
Guests: Iris Därmann (HU Berlin) & Robin Celikates (Freie Universität Berlin)
+ Virtual tour of the exhibition “1 Million Roses for Angela Davis” @ Kunsthalle im Lipsiusbau, Dresden; hosted by curator Kathleen Reinhardt
Copyright DFG-Netzwerk “Kulturen ästhetischen Widerstands/Cultures of Aesthetic Resistance”.
Alle Rechte vorbehalten.