Funded since January 2020 by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG), the network “Kulturen ästhetischen Widerstands/Cultures of Aesthetic Resistance” seeks to create an interdisciplinary dialogue to continue and expand existing debates about the forms, effects, and deficits of aesthetic resistance. It draws on a variety of discussions about the role of the aesthetic and forms of political, cultural, and social resistance in current discourses of philosophy, social sciences, cultural, and literary studies. The network wants to determine to what extent the arts and non-artistic cultural, social, and political forms of expression appear aesthetically resistant. In this regard, the continuous, post-humanist revision of Western aesthetic premises will open up crucial questions about the possibilities of aesthetic resistance. Relying on the idea of an aesthetic pluralism, the network develops theoretical and practical alternatives, synergies, and collaborations with which an equally contemporaneous and future-oriented understanding of aesthetic resistance can be formulated. In and through the cooperation of scholars from the humanities and the social sciences, the network explores new ways of dealing with the aesthetic and the powerful forces of resistant practices.
- Dustin Breitenwischer (PI/Antragsteller), North American Studies, Hamburg
- Hanna Katharina Göbel, Sociology, Hamburg (HCU)
- Sophia Gräfe, Media and Cultural Studies, Marburg
- Ines Kleesattel, Philosophy/Aesthetics, Zurich and Stuttgart
- Philipp Löffler, North American Studies, Heidelberg
- Marina Martinez Mateo, Philosophy, Munich
- Dietmar Meinel, North American Studies, Duisburg-Essen
- Jennifer Pavlik, German Literature, Kassel
- Sophia Prinz, Theory of Design, Zurich
- Dorna Safaian, Media and Visual Studies, Freiburg
- Kerstin Schankweiler, Art History, TU Dresden
- Tanja-Bianca Schmidt, Art History, TU Dresden
- Jasmin Wrobel, Latin American Studies, EXC 2020, Freie Universität Berlin
In the winter semester 2022/23, network members Kerstin Schankweiler and Tanja-Bianca Schmidt (with Verena Straub) organize the digital lecture series “Image Protests/Bildproteste.” Find more information here!
Recent & Upcoming Events
November 17-18, 2022, Essen
Sixth Workshop, “Aesthetic Resistance and Curatorial Practice”
Hartware MedienKunstVerein Dortmund & Kai10 Düsseldorf
June 16-17, 2022, Berlin
Fifth Workshop, “Praxis”
Guest: Georg W. Bertram (Freie Universität Berlin)
Discussion with Eva von Redecker and members of the GRK “Normativität, Kritik, Wandel”
Copyright DFG-Netzwerk “Kulturen ästhetischen Widerstands/Cultures of Aesthetic Resistance”.
Alle Rechte vorbehalten.